Wednesday 5 October 2016

Homdox Glass Jug Kettle


Rating: 2/5

Review:
A kettle with problems



I was sent this kettle for review and I've had some real problems with it.

The kettle comes simply but solidly boxed and you get a basic but perfectly adequate user manual.  It looks nice and the basic construction of the kettle seems solid.  However:

1) It doesn't sit very firmly on the base and wobbles enough to be a little worrying.  I don't think its unsafe at all, but it doesn't feel solid in the way I'd like a kettle to be.

2) The lid doesn't open easily.  In fact, I find it infuriatingly difficult.  The picture on this page shows a thumb gently lifting the latch.  Oh, I wish!  This doesn't release the catch; the only way of doing it is to press down on the back of the catch while lifting the front, which is incredibly inconvenient and not really what you want to be doing on a hot kettle, either.

3) The plastic has a strong chemical smell when you open it which hasn't yet worn off on mine.  Worse, on boiling it up there was a truly horrible smell of rotten eggs.  Seriously, it was so bad that I thought a member of the family had…er…committed an anti-social act after eating something which disagreed with them.  It took me a little while to realise that it came from the kettle.  After a few (reluctant) further boilings it's fading, but the chemical smell is still there and it doesn't make me want to drink the water, that's for sure.

Also, this is quite a low-powered kettle (about 2KW on UK voltage) which means that it's quite slow to boil.  It takes about 3 minutes to boil I litre, which is 50% longer than my existing 3kW kettle which does it in 2 minutes..  This may not be a big problem for you, but is something to bear in mind.

I'm sorry to have to be so critical; previous Homdox products I have tried have been very good, but this kettle really doesn't come up to the mark and I'm afraid I can't recommend it.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment