Monday 21 August 2017

Russell Hobbs Dorchester Kettle


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good kettle



This is a perfectly decent kettle from a good manufacturer.  It has very few bells and whistles, but that's fine with me; it looks good and does the job, which is what I want from a kettle.

The kettle is well made, is a pleasing shape with simple black trimmings and sits solidly on its base.  There is no external level gauge, nor any "on" light.  Inside is a little plastic level gauge with three steps to show you one, two or three cups' worth of water.  Personally, I've just taken this out (fairly easy to do) because that leaves no plastic in contact with the water in the kettle, something I much prefer.  The plastic lid is just lifted off manually; again, that's fine with me, although some people may prefer a hinged one.

In use…well, it's a kettle.  It has a standard 1.7l capacity and 3kW power rating, so it boils fairly quickly (as do all kettles with these ratings).  My one gripe is that the "max level" mark is just faintly printed onto the interior surface and is almost impossible to see.  Once you know where it is it's not hard to judge, but it could be much clearer.  The on/off switch on the base is very simple to use and the automatic turn-off works well, and there is an automatic cut-out if it's turned on with no water in it.

So, a slightly basic kettle, but well made, attractive and fine for my purposes.  Russell Hobbs are a reliable firm so I'm expecting this to last well, and if you like the look of it I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment