Wednesday 20 January 2016

ThorFire Wind-up/Solar Torch


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good wind-up/solar torch

I was sent this torch free by the distributors for my unbiased review and I think it is very good. It's an excellent idea to make a torch which is charged by winding up or solar panel and this one is well made and practical.

The torch is reasonably bulky in order to house the mechanism, but fairly light so it would make a very good camping torch, especially on a long trip where batteries or recharging might be a problem. It seems very solidly made from metal and tough plastic and it will stand up well to being knocked about in a backpack or car – or anywhere else, for that matter. It is reasonably comfortable in the hand and has a hole for a lanyard or clip if you need.

In use, it just does exactly what it says. You wind it up for a minute or so and the torch works for around an hour. If you live somewhere with bright sunlight the torch will also charge via a solar panel, which I can't test during a London winter but which I'm sure works fine. There are three settings to scroll through with 1 or 3 LEDs on and a strobe setting (which all torches have and I wish they didn't!) It gives a good light, especially on the high setting, and the low setting is good for not spoiling night vision.

I have a number of Thorfire torches and I have found them all excellent, so I have confidence in the quality and durability of this, too. It's a really handy (and comforting) thing to have around in a car, when camping or just for domestic emergencies. I'm impressed with the idea and the torch itself is very good, so I can recommend this very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment