Sunday 4 September 2016

Chuwi 10.1" Windows and Android tablet


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good Windows & Android tablet



I was kindly sent this Windows 10/Android tablet for review. I think it is a very decent tablet for the price.

The packaging is a sturdy cardboard box in which you get the tablet itself, a micro-USB lead for charging and data transfer and an almost useless User manual.  The English is terrible and the content is not at all helpful, but the whole thing is pretty intuitive so I didn't find it much of a problem.

The tablet itself is good. It seems robustly made; although the back is plastic it feels pretty solid.  It's not the thinnest or lightest tablet in the world, but it's not bad and I find it comfortable in the hand.  The screen is very good to my eyes: it's bright with good, true colours and has a good tolerance of viewing angle. It has Bluetooth (which is very solid) and two USB ports (one USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0), a micro-SDHC card slot and a 3.5mm jack socket.  Set-up was simple in both Android and Windows 10, wi-fi connection was easy and remains solid, and syncing with my accounts was quick and trouble-free.  (The two OS are entirely separate, btw, so you have to set each of them up as though they were on  tablet of their own.  Once set up they're both fine, and you can switch between them with a long press on the power button and then choosing the option from the shut-down menu.)

The specs are a little basic and in particular the cameras aren't great (2mp front and rear), but the tablet performs fine for what I need. Battery life is around 6 hours with my usage which is enough for me.  Boot is a bit slow; it's not terrible, but switching between Windows and Android requires a re-boot and the wait can be slightly tedious.  Memory is good at 4GB ROM and 64GB RAM, and I find that everything runs smoothly and without delays.  I don't game or use social media and I don't multi-task much so I can't comment on these things; my usage is mainly TV, music, web browsing and email. The tablet is just fine for all of these and everything I want just runs smoothly and without problems. The sound quality is terrible, but through headphones or an external speaker it's fine – although not the loudest I've ever come across, which some users may find a limitation.

Overall, I think this is a good tablet/notebook. It has some limitations, but it's well made and it just works for me. It will depend on what you want it for, but if a dual Android/Windows tablet with slightly basic specs in some areas will suit your needs I can warmly recommend this one. It's a good product which I enjoy using.

Amazon page  HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment