Monday 26 September 2016

Umi BSTS3 Compact Bluetooth speaker


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good compact speaker, but slightly weak bass



I was sent this speaker for review and I like it. It's not hi-fi, obviously, but it is a decent little unit at this price.

The speaker is beautifully packaged and comes with a micro-USB charging cable, a jack-to-jack lead and a very basic but adequate manual. It has a good, durable feel to it and is very well made. It looks very elegant, I think, and is solidly built with a protective rubberised finish. The AUX input, charging port and on/off switch are on the back so they are reasonably accessible but unobtrusive.  The controls are on the top;  they are clear, sylish and work very well, giving volume up and down, pause/play and skip forward and back.  You can make hands-free phone calls via the inbuilt microphone, but there are no phone controls on the speaker so you have to do all that from your phone. Bluetooth connection was straightforward using both NFC and conventional pairing; it is solid with a good range of at least 8m and the jack input allows connection to non-Bluetooth devices.

In use, I found the sound pretty good for such a compact speaker. I have listened to a lot of music through it, including my Test Playlist from Tudor choral music to London Grammar and it all sounds pretty good. The output is clear and hiss-free, the tops and middles are very good and it goes surprisingly loud (to me) without distortion. The bass is OK for a unit like this, but it's a bit weak.  If you want a real bass kick, you'll be disappointed and things like the low strings in Sibelius's Karelia Suite or the deep bass in London Grammar's Hey Now don't come over well, but it's adequate for most things. Battery life seems to be around 8 hours, which is fine for me.

I have tried a lot of speakers in this sort of price range, and I think this is good value at this price. Personally, I think I prefer the sound on two very reasonably priced compact speakers from Audio Dynamix, the Fusion V3 and the Clarity2, or the (much bulkier) Apie Sound Cannon.  However, they are a little more expensive (but not excessively so) and these things are personal; you may well prefer the look and sound of this one. It's a good product which is well made and has perfectly decent sound. I can recommend it.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment