Saturday 12 December 2015

Divoix DV550 earphones


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Excellent earphones



I was kindly sent these earphones for review and I am very impressed.  I have tested a lot of earphones in this price range and I think these are the best I have heard by quite some distance.

The earphones are nicely packaged in a stylish tin and come with memory-foam tips fitted.  These suit my ears well, but if you need something different there's a good range of silicone tips, too.  Everything is very well made, with a gold-plated plug and decent strain relief so I'd expect them to last well. The cable is detachable from the earbuds themselves, and is good quality with low friction noise.

Functionally they work as you'd want, with a microphone and simple control for the phone on the lead. The "triple press" to skip to the previous track can be tricky, but everything else is fine.  (By the way, this page currently mentions noise cancelling, but there is no active noise cancelling, just passive noise reduction with a good sound seal with the foam tip.  It is a good seal, but "noise cancelling" isn't really accurate.)
 
I think the sound is exceptionally good for earphones at this price.  The articulation is remarkably clear and it's beautifully balanced.  Trebles are very bright and hiss-free, middles are lovely and rich and the bass is excellent.  These aren't engineered to give a massive, boomy bass at the expense of everything else, but it's very deep and full.  If you want a real bass kick they respond well to a boost from an equalizer, but I find them very well balanced for my listening.  I have a Test Playlist which I use for audio products beginning with 15th Century choral music, ending up with The Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen and London Grammar and going through most things in between; these perform excellently throughout, and I thought everything sounded really good.  Articulation of individual instruments and voices in classical music was excellent, and rock and the like was just as good.  To my ears they sound like earphones costing twice as much and it's a pleasure to use them.

I don't often gush like this over earphones costing under thirty quid, but I genuinely think these are exceptionally good.  They are well made, stylish and, to my ears anyway, give outstandingly good sound for the price.  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment