Saturday 3 December 2016

Eaget E30 500GB USB 3.0 external hard drive


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good portable hard drive

I was sent this Eaget 500GB hard drive for review by the distributors well over a year ago and it has been excellent.

The packaging is nice, and you get a USB3.0 lead and a decent instruction manual in good English. The drive is about the size of a smartphone (12 x 7.5 x 1cm). It has a neat, attractive design: plain white surfaces with a small, attractive logo and an aluminium edging-band. It's only external features are a small blue LED which is lit when the drive is plugged in and flashes during data transfer, and a USB3.0 input socket for the supplied connecting lead, which is compatible with any USB socket on your computer or device. It's a very nice object and is extremely portable - a little heavy for a pocket, perhaps, but very easy to tuck into a briefcase or bag.

In use, it just works very well. It is USB-powered so you just plug it into your computer and use it. Windows 10 installed it instantly without any fuss, and after that it was just like having a very large internal hard drive. It has 465GB total free capacity, and data transfer via drag-and-drop is dead simple. I only USB2.0 on my laptop, and I get speeds around 14MB/s - that's just over 1 minute per GB. (You can probably expect around 5 times that with USB3.0, but I can't vouch for it.) I initially copied about 100GB (which took around an hour and three quarters) without any difficulty and the drive was just slightly warm at the end of it, so it will plainly be fine for prolonged use. Since then, data transfer, playing music from the drive and so on has been completely trouble-free.

There's not a lot more to say about an external drive; this seems very good in use, it's neat and compact and it does the job. I will update this review if I have any reliability problems, but so far I'm delighted with this. I've been wanting a backup of my data in a more portable form and this has provided an ideal means of doing it. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment