Friday 2 December 2016

House of Marley - Get Together Mini speaker


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Rather disappointing sound



This is an attractive and well-made speaker, but I don’t think its sound quality justifies the price tag, I'm afraid.

House of Marley make good quality audio products and there is no doubt that this is very well made.  It's compact rather than "mini" at roughly 25cm x 13cm x 13cm and it has a real heft to it so it's portable but very solid.  It looks great with the bamboo facing and canvas finish and works very well: battery life is good, Bluetooth is simple to connect and solid up to at least 8m, AUX input is fine, the controls work easily and as you'd expect and it goes good and loud without audible distortion.  In many ways this is a very nice bit of kit, but for me it is let down by the sound quality.

I have played a big range of music through this speaker from 16th-century choral music to London Grammar with most things in between.  It's not that the sound is actively bad, but at well over a hundred quid I'd expect something pretty good, and this is just…well…OK.  It's fairly well balanced, but I don't find the treble articulation all that clear and the bass is decent but lacks real depth on things like a theorbo, a viola da gamba or London Grammar's Hey Now, so it all sounds just a bit lacklustre.  Crucially, too, there is audible hiss, especially when playing it quietly; it's the sort of hiss which rides on top of things like a violin, a soprano or a hi-hat and I do find it intrusive.  Also, an over-aggressive noise reduction system cuts the sound in quiet passages in things like a string quartet unless the input volume is turned way up and the speaker volume right down. All of this is far less of a problem at higher volumes so it may not bother some listeners, but it often spoils the sound for me.   
I'm sorry to be critical; I admire the Marley Foundation and support its aims, but just as a speaker at this price I think you can do a lot better.  For sheer sound quality I'd recommend the ADX Pulse V4 (which is almost half the price); a similar style can be found in the Archeer A320 (which has a really powerful bass) and the August WS300 has excellent sound and also Wi-Fi connectivity – and all are significantly cheaper than this one.

So, a well made speaker, but only a very qualified recommendation, I'm afraid.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment