Friday 22 July 2016

Chafon H100 Noise-Cancelling Earphones



Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very good noise-cancelling earphones


I was sent these earphones for review and I think they are very good.  Build quality is high, with effective Active Noise-Cancelling and the sound is very good.

The earphones look very stylish.  They are well packaged and come with a nice soft carry-case, a basic but serviceable User Manual, extra silicone tips to fit smaller or larger ears and a charging lead.  The earphones charge via the 3.5mm jack plug, so the lead fits a normal USB port, but has a jack socket to plug the 'phones into.  This is fine – but you need to carry an extra lead to charge them and you're in trouble if you lose it.

Functionally they work well, with a microphone and simple switch on the right-hand lead for answering and hanging up the phone. The Active Noise Cancelling is controlled by a switch on a separate very neat in-line panel and is remarkably effective: general background noise is very significantly reduced and almost vanishes much of the time. I can still hear when someone speaks to me and they don't keep out sudden, loud noises, but they perform as well as any noise-cancelling I have ever tried – including my Bose QC2 over-ear headphones which I have relied on for many years. They also work fine as passive, unpowered earphones with the ANC turned off.

The sound is very good for the price range, with an exceptionally good, deep bass. The articulation is clear and although the tops aren't quite as bright as I'd like in classical music the middles are rich and the overall sound is very good in most genres.  If you don't listen to classical music, I think you'll find it impressive impressive. I have a Test Playlist which I use for audio products beginning with 15th Century choral music, ending up with The Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen and London Grammar and going through most things in between; these perform well throughout, and I thought rock and other modern music sounded very good – especially things which need a real bass kick.

I have tried quite a lot of earphones and in an increasingly crowded market I think these are well worth considering.  They are very good quality earphones which generally give very good sound and have very effective noise-cancelling.  Because of the slight flaw in sound quality in classical music, I have given these earphones four rather than five stars, but if that's not an issue for you, I can recommend them warmly.

(You may also like to look at 233621's E610 ANC earphones, which aren't as stylish as these but cost significantly less and, to my ears, have rather better balanced sound in classical music. )

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment