Tuesday 5 July 2016

Soundpeats Q20 Bluetooth earphones


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good earphones



I think these are excellent earphones, particularly at this price. They are very well made and sound quality is very good indeed.

The Q20s are nicely packaged in an attractive box, in which you get the earphones themselves, a range of silicone tips, a standard micro-USB lead for charging, a nice carrying case and a good user manual. You also get a selection of rubber "ear-hooks," of which more later. It all seems well made and of good, durable quality.

The really important things for me are sound quality and comfort, both of which are very good. I was surprised by the quality of the sound; it really is remarkably good and far better than I expected. Getting the positioning exactly right (which is critical with earbuds) was easy and there is very good bass, really nice, rich middles and sharp trebles. Volume is perfectly adequate for my use and I heard no distortion at full volume (which is too loud for me to bear for more than a few seconds).  I put them through my test playlist (which is very varied) and they performed very well on everything - classical music is clear and distinct even with a big orchestra, and rock and pop sound great. Even that deep rolling bass in London Grammar's Hey Now comes through very well. I was impressed.

Comfort was good, too. Once I'd selected the correct tips the earbuds lodged firmly in my ears and stayed there comfortably. The one thing I don't like about the Q20s is the earhooks.  These are rubber and fit round the body of the earbuds.  They may help to keep them stable in your ears, especially if you're using them for exercise.  They didn't do anything for me, though, except make access to the charging port a real pain in the…er…ears.  Fortunately they're removable and I much prefer using the earphones without them.

The Q20s have a clever feature in that they are magnetic and stick together for easy storage, and this serves as the on/off function.  Stuck together they switch off, and when you separate them they switch on.  It's neat and a good idea – and they turn off if there's no activity for about 5 minutes, so you won't accidentally exhaust the battery.

They are Bluetooth only, with no wired connectivity. Bluetooth connection was very straightforward (there is no NFC, by the way, just conventional pairing) and I find the range good with no problems up to about 10 metres. Battery life is good; I haven't tested it to exhaustion, but the claim of up to 5.5 hours seems reasonable to me. The controls and microphone are all on a simple control panel on the lead; everything worked as you'd expect and functionally I think these earphones are very good.

In summary, these are well made earbuds which offer very good quality for the price. The sound is impressive, with a very good bass response. This is becoming quite a crowded market now and I have tried a few good earphones of this kind. These are among the best I have come across and I can recommend the Q20s very warmly.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment