Monday 28 November 2016

Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus smartphone


Rating: 5/5

Review:

A very nice phone at a very good price

This is a very nice 5" phone, with good performance and solid build quality.  It compares well with rivals at this price like the Umi Super or Elephone P9000 and it's good to see a British company producing good quality, reasonably priced phones.

When reading this review, do bear in mind that I am in late middle age and that my use may not reflect yours. I don't game or tweet, for example; I use the phone for calls and texts, music, checking email, some catch-up TV and video streaming, occasional photos and occasional web browsing, and I don't use data. My ordinary user's take on the Wileyfox Swift2 Plus is this:

The packaging is very stylish and you get a Type-C USB lead for charging and data transfer and a quick-start guide. The phone itself is very attractive: it's slim, stylish and has a very nice, robust aluminium case. It's quite heavy, but not excessively, and I find it very comfortable to use. There is fingerprint security (but I prefer to stick to PIN locking). The 5" screen is excellent to my eyes; it's a pleasure to use with bright, true colours and very tolerant of viewing angle. Video, TV catch-up and so on look great and everything works very nicely for me. The phone runs Android version 6.0.1, and with 3GB RAM everything is very quick and smooth and pretty intuitive.

The internal memory is 32GB but you can expand with a micro-SD card of up to 128GB capacity (I use a 32 GB and it works fine). Set-up was very easy, but there is no manual available. The quick-start manual is adequate but basic, access to SIM and micro-SD card slots is very easy using a pin to release the tray and if you're familiar with Android the lack of a manual may not bother you, but for some users it might be a drawback.

In use, everything I want works very well. Wi-fi connection was very straightforward as was syncing with my account. The battery lasts for several days with my use. The speakers aren't bad for smartphone speakers (which isn't saying much, I know) and through headphones or an external speaker - both wired and via Bluetooth 4.0 - the sound is excellent. Both NFC and normal Bluetooth pairing are very quick and simple, and stable up to a decent range. The rear camera has a very good 13mp resolution and the front camera is OK at 5mp. I have found both to be fine for my use, and other functions also seem very good.

In short, this is a really good phone with excellent specs for the money.  I would suggest checking out the Umi Super and Elephone P9000 which are also excellent phones at a similar price (but both are 5.5") to make sure that the specs suit you best, but I can recommend this one.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment