Wednesday 1 June 2016

Cleer DU High-Definition headphones


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very well made and with excellent sound



I was sent these headphones for review and I think they are outstandingly good.  They are very well made, stylish and with excellent sound.

The headphones come very well boxed and are plainly a quality product.  They come with a nice soft carry-pouch and two leads; one for connection to Android devices and one to Apple.  The leads have an in-line microphone and simple controls for hands-free calls.  There is also a quick-start guide (which amounts basically to "plug your headphones in and put them on"!) and a good user manual. 

The headphones are really well made.  They are quite weighty and have solid metal earcups.  The padding is very good and I have found them comfortable for hours on end.  They grip well but not firmly enough to use for exercise, I'd say – but that's not what they are intended for.  They fold neatly and the whole thing has a classy air about it.

Connection is wired only, which suits me just fine.  Plainly all the makers' effort and money has gone into sound production, because that's where these really stand out.  I test a lot of headphones and these have exceptionally good balance and depth of tone and fantastic quality and precision of articulation.  They have dual drivers (i.e. separate speakers for bass and treble) and the effect really shows.  Everything is crystal clear and that old cliché about hearing things I'd never heard before really does apply to these.  Tops are bright and distinct, middles sound just great and the bass is superb – never dominant or boomy but it has all the depth and kick you'll need when necessary. 

I have listened to a lot of music through these headphones, including my Test Tracks list, which gives all aspects of the sound a thorough trial. It starts with 16th Century choral music, it ends with London Grammar and it has most things in between, and everything sounds just great to me. Instruments like theorbo and viola da gamba sound magnificent, and chamber, orchestral and large choral works are clear and distinct with a lovely full sound and excellent distinctness of individual instruments and voices.  Things like classic rock sound great and the deep, rolling bass in London Grammar's Hey Now (one of my standard tests of headphones) really resonates. Volume goes plenty loud enough for me with no audible distortion and they're just a pleasure to listen to.

I'm sorry to gush, but these really are among the best headphones I've heard – certainly at this price.  I'm comparing them with very good 'phones like Bose Sound True,  Brainwavz HM5 and HM9, Noontec Hammo and others and they're my current favourite.  If you want a set of wired headphones which are very well made and you really care about sound I'd say don't hesitate.  These are excellent.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment