Tuesday 21 June 2016

233621 H501 Noise-cancelling headphones


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good noise-cancelling headphones



I was sent these noise-cancelling headphones for review, and I think they are excellent. They are very well made, the noise-cancellation is very effective and the sound is very impressive.  Note that these are not Bluetooth headphones; connection is wired only.

The headphones are beautifully packaged; inside you get a good quality hard carry-case, a good set of instructions in decent English, a plain audio lead and a lead with a microphone and control buttons for music and hands-free calls, an airplane adaptor and a ¼" jack adaptor.  It's all very good quality, with gold-plated plugs and good materials.   The design of the headphones is very nice, I think.  They are light and very comfortable in use with a decent grip which doesn't feel too tight and, with the very good padding on the earcups and headband, I find them comfortable for several hours use.

Functionally they work well.   The microphone and simple controls for the phone are fine, but do note that this is designed for Apple devices and the in-line controls may not work on all Android devices. The Active Noise Cancelling is powered by a single AAA battery (supplied) and controlled by a switch on the left-hand earcup.  It is remarkably effective: general background noise is very significantly reduced and almost vanishes much of the time. I can still hear when someone speaks to me and they don't keep out sudden, loud noises, but they perform as well as any noise-cancelling I have ever tried – including my Bose QC2s which I have relied on for many years and a more recent set of Ausdom ANC-7 'phones, which I also rate very highly. They also work fine as passive, unpowered earphones with the ANC turned off.

Sound quality is very good indeed. I find the sound well balanced with good articulation.  There's a firm bass which gets a significant boost when ANC is turned on, and middles are strong and resonant which makes them excellent for rock, pop and the like. The treble is a little muffled occasionally in classical music, but I've found it absolutely fine for other types of music. I have listened to a lot of music through these headphones, including my Test Tracks list which goes from 16th Century choral music to London Grammar. Everything sounds very good to me. Chamber, orchestral and large choral works are clear and distinct with a lovely full sound, and things like classic rock - the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, for example - sounds great and the deep, rolling bass in London Grammar's Hey Now (one of my standard tests of headphones) is all there. Volume goes plenty loud enough for me with no audible distortion.

In summary, these are very good headphones. They are well made, functional, stylish and comfortable and the sound is very good. If you're looking for a good set of wired noise-cancelling headphones, I can warmly recommend these.

No comments:

Post a Comment