Wednesday 8 June 2016

Salcar USB DVD drive


Rating: 0/5

Review:
A disaster for my devices

There are plenty of good reviews for this DVD/CD drive so it plainly works well for most people, but it has caused terrible problems for me. I was sent it for review; it didn't work and has caused two devices – a notebook and a tablet, both running Windows 10 – to behave very oddly and both have had trouble recovering.  I was sent a replacement drive in case the first one was faulty, but the replacement behaved almost as badly. 

The main thing I need to say is this:  the drive is plainly not compatible with all machines or all versions of Windows 10 (I don't know what the problem is), so approach this with caution.  If you want the details of the problems I've had, read on. 

I tried it first on an iRULU notebook running Widows 10 (fully up-to-date).   The drive clicked continuously and wouldn't stop.  No icon appeared, but it was recognised by the device manager.  However, I couldn't get it to do anything, and the notebook began to behave oddly, with the screen shaking as the drive clicked and no apps worked properly.  I tried to eject the drive using the Windows "Add & remove hardware" function, but it didn't eject.  Eventually I shut the notebook down (I had to use touch screen - the trackpad and keyboard weren't working by this time).  The drive remained on and clicking even when the notebook had shut down, until I unplugged it.  The notebook took a long time to reboot and was still behaving oddly, but eventually has returned to normal (I think).

I then tried the drive with an iRULU Windows 10 tablet.  The same thing happened, but worse.  I couldn't get the tablet to re-boot after shutdown - it was dead.  I re-set by pressing the power and volume keys together and it did start, but kept shutting down again.  After 3 tries, it did boot, but still behaved very oddly with a flickering screen and very slow apps.  After a while it seems to have recovered.  Something very similar happened with the replacement drive.

This DVD/CD drive  has been a disaster for me.  It was a very bad experience and I am still not absolutely certain that either of my devices has fully recovered from using it.  I seem to be alone in having these problems and it may be fine for you, but do be careful…

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment