Sunday 12 June 2016

DKnight Big MagicBox portable speaker




Rating 5/5

Review:
A very good portable speaker



I was sent this speaker without charge for review, and I'm impressed. It's well made, functional and stylish, and it has very good sound.

The speaker is very nicely designed in a cylindrical shape with AUX input and charging port on one end and a bass radiator on the other.  The controls are neat and very clear on the top of the cylinder and all work well.  Volume, skip forward and back and pause/play are self-explanatory, and there's a separate button to control hands-free calls.  The enclosed quick-start manual is clear and tells you all you need to know, and you also get a jack-to-jack AUX lead for wired connection and a standard micro-USB lead for charging.

The speaker seems robust and solidly made and I would expect it to last well even if it's knocked about a bit as it's moved around as a portable speaker.  In use, it all works very well. Bluetooth pairing is simple and I found the signal solid up to 8 metres at least and the AUX input allows you to connect to non-Bluetooth devices.  The sound is equally good whichever input you use.

The sound quality is very good, especially for a small unit like this. The top and middles are very crisp and well-defined, and the bass is good and firm.  I found the balance a little light in the bass, but a bit of bass boost on the EQ settings of my device gave a very nice overall sound (especially after the first few hours use, when the bass improves significantly) and there's a decent kick there if you need it. I have tried this with a lot of music, including my Test Playlist which I use on all audio products for a fair comparison. It begins with Tudor Choral music and ends up with London Grammar, and everything comes over well. Classical music sounds rich and full, with a string quartet sounding well balanced and orchestral music rich and crisply articulated. Rock is good and punchy, acoustic music sounds bright and airy...and so on. The bass response especially is critical in a small unit like this, and I think it's very good; the real deep, resonant bass isn't really there, but it gives a very solid sound which I like a lot.

I think this is a very good unit at this size and price. It is solidly made with very good sound and I can recommend it.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment