Sunday 15 May 2016

Omaker W4 mini Bluetooth speaker


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Surprisingly good



I was sent this little speaker without charge for review.  I was intrigued (and pretty sceptical) to see how such a tiny unit performed, and I am very impressed.  It's not hi-fi and the bass isn't as deep as it might be, but the sound quality is very acceptable and for a unit which is effectively a 2-inch cube at under fifteen quid I think it's remarkably good.

The speaker is robust and well made.  It has a rubberised frame which will stand up well to the knocks it will inevitably get when being carried around and it has a very good, solid feel.  You also get a carabiner, a micro-USB charging lead and a carry pouch, too, and the instructions are fine – not that you need many instructions.

Be aware that this is a very simple unit.  It has Bluetooth connectivity only, there's no AUX jack input for wired connection and it doesn’t do hands-free calls; it plays music via Bluetooth and that's it.  However, it does that very well.  Pairing was simple and the range is pretty good: my signal is solid up to at least 5 metres.  Sound quality is startlingly good for its size.  Volume goes plenty loud enough for a medium-sized room without noticeable distortion and music sounds good – far better than I had expected.  I put this through my standard Test Tracks playlist from Tudor choral music to London Grammar with most things in between and it all sounds fine.  Articulation is very good and the tops and middles are very bright and rich.  Even the bass is decent; real depth, like a viola da gamba or the last half of London Grammar's Hey Now doesn't come over, but there's a reasonable punch in classic rock, a string quartet sounds pretty well balanced, and so on.

As you can tell, I like this speaker a lot.  It doesn't pretend to be top-of-the-range sound, but it's very listenable and for something of this tiny size and very reasonable price I think it's excellent.  If you want a very compact Bluetooth speaker I can recommend this warmly – it's surprisingly good.

Amazon page HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment